Public collections can serve a variety of uses. They can help you promote some of your best pieces of work, or promote the work of a variety of authors so you can link to it with the Referral Program. Some people create collections that they find useful and make them public for others who might need a similar set for a specific purpose, in the name of community spirit. It’s up to you how you use public collections — here’s how to create one.
Creating a Public Collection
If you’re on the item listings page or an item page:
- If on the item listings page find an item you like, click on the folder icon underneath the thumbnail for each item, or if on the item page click the Add to Collection button in the right side bar.
- If you’re signed out, go through the sign in process.
- In the lightbox you will see the Create a New Collection section, fill in a name for your collection — if you’re creating a collection for marketing purposes, make it a compelling and interesting name. Put some thought into it (there are some other naming tips below).
- Select the Make it Public checkbox so that others can see your collection.
- Click Add new collection (you will see the new collection added to the top of the list) and then Great, I’m Done to close.
If you’re on the Collections page in your account area:
- Click New collection on the top right of the page.
- In the lightbox, fill in a name for your collection — as above if you’re creating a collection for marketing purposes, make it a compelling and interesting name. Put some thought into it (there are some other naming tips below).
- Add an image that nicely represents the collection and is visually appealing.
- Provide a Description that factually describes the theme of the items in the collection and that will entice people to view those items. The Description will be visible to other users when they are looking through the list of Public Collections.
- Click Create Collection and you’re done.
Here are some other tips for naming your Public Collections
Let your name describe your collection:
Do use unique naming with keywords that describe the collection eg. Responsive Retail Themes, Sports Branding Print Templates.
Don't name your collection in code eg. Capelli_2011, MBNTV Print
Do use sentence case eg. Full Screen, Video Gallery
Don't use capitalisation eg. not AS3 EXAMPLES, FX TEXT
Don't use lowercase eg. antonio slim, guerdon, actions
Don't use numbering eg. Chosen 16, Chosen 17
Don't use special characters eg. / - _
Where can you find Public Collections?
The Public Collections for all Envato Marketplaces are viewable from the Community section of the header navigation. You can see it here.
Using Your Public Collection
While the contents of your collection can only be viewed from the marketplace site itself, you can advertise it on your own site or blog, using your referral link. If anyone who visits the collection through your referral link proceeds to sign up and make a purchase or deposit money into their account, you’ll get a cut of the deposit. If you’re advertising a collection of your own files, you’ll be making money from successful conversions whether you use your referral link or not!
If you think you’ve put together a really cool collection that others will find useful for their projects, head into the forums and let everyone know about it.